People with glaucoma and eye doctors face a dilemma. On one hand, patients with glaucoma are at high risk of losing their eyesight if their disease progresses undetected and essential therapy adjustments are delayed. On the other hand, these typically elderly, vulnerable individuals are often hampered in seeing their doctor for office visits, particularly during a lockdown.
CEVEC announces new license agreement for its AAV manufacturing technology ELEVECTA® in gene therapy
- Under the agreement CEVEC grants Biogen rights to its proprietary ELEVECTA® Technology for manufacturing of gene therapy products
- ELEVECTA® stable producer cell lines enable fully scalable, helper virus‐free AAV vector production in suspension bioreactors
At the Beijing Conference and Exhibition on Instrument Analysis (BCEIA), a leading Chinese trade fair for laboratory instruments, Labforward today announced a major rebranding to unify its products under a clear, clean identity. From today, the product cubuslab, an Internet-of-Things (IoT) platform for laboratory devices, will be known as Laboperator. The electronic lab notebook software (ELN) Labfolder will retain its original name.
labfolder GmbH from Berlin and the cubuslab GmbH from Karlsruhe are merging. As a new company called Labforward, they jointly develop a manufacturer-independent platform for the integration of laboratory equipment and laboratory control software. The result is an internationally-operating company with unique expertise in the digital transformation of laboratories.
Ophthalmic sensors and digital health company Implandata Ophthalmic Products GmbH (Implandata) announced today that it successfully attained CE mark for its EYEMATE system for use in patients undergoing keratoprosthesis surgery. Keratoprosthesis represents an infrequent yet important procedure for restoring vision; it is performed on patients whose donor cornea transplantation procedure has failed or shows only limited success. Increased intraocular pressure (IOP) in keratoprosthesis patients is a frequent and major post-surgical complication, resulting in failure of the procedure, secondary glaucoma and, consequently, vision loss.
Ophthalmic medical device company Implandata Ophthalmic Products GmbH (Implandata) announced today it successfully attained CE mark for its next generation EYEMATE-IO 1.1 implantable micro-sensor, which will be launched in April 2019. The CE-certified product enables eye surgeons to place the permanent implantable eye pressure sensor in conjunction with cataract surgery through significantly smaller incisions. The micro-sensor performs continual monitoring of eye pressure in glaucoma patients, providing highly critical information for guided glaucoma therapy.
Ophthalmic medical device company Implandata Ophthalmic Products GmbH (Implandata) announced today that the first patient in its international, multi-center, ARGOS-SC01 clinical study has been successfully implanted with its novel pressure sensor. This first-in-human clinical study is being conducted to validate the suprachoroidally-placed EYEMATE-SC sensor implant for continual monitoring of intraocular pressure (IOP).
- This portfolio expansion is the result of an ongoing collaboration and license agreement between CEVEC and CellGenix for the development and GMP production of selected cytokines for ex vivo cell culture therapy applications using CEVEC’s proprietary CAP®Go technology
- CEVEC’s CAP®Go technology enables CellGenix access to new cytokines and proteins requiring human post-translational modifications not provided by bacterial expression systems
- CellGenix® recombinant human transforming growth factor-beta 1 (rh TGF-ß1) is used for the expansion of pluripotent stem cells (PSC) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) as well as for the differentiation of T cells into regulatory T cells (Treg cells) and the expansion of Treg cells
- CAP®Go-derived GMP TGF-ß1 is planned to become available in the second half of 2018
Together with labfolder, the NRW Priority Professorship Biohybride and Medical Textiles in the new Center for Biohybrid Medical Systems at the RWTH Aachen University embarks on digital data management. Goals are the protection and traceability of the primary data, but the vision is to structure Big Data and also data that may have previously been ignored.
- Newly developed helper-free AAV packaging cell line provides unique solution for large-scale viral gene therapy vector production
- Easy and stable production processes, independent of transient transfection or helper virus
- Data from CEVEC’s successful proof-of-concept studies will be presented at the conference
- New patent paves the way for further market expansion for CAP®Go expression platform
- Patent strengthens CEVEC’s unique position in producing recombinant proteins with tailor-made glycosylation
- Important milestone in establishing CAP®Go as the production standard for difficult-to- express recombinant glycoproteins
Digital lab notebook platform company opens office in Cambridge to support U.S. growth and customer Relations
BERLIN & CAMBRIDGE, Mass. labfolder and the German Accelerator Life Sciences (GALS), an initiative supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi), today announced the initiation of an extensive collaboration supporting the company’s expansion into the North American markets. With thousands of users and a growing number of customers in the U.S. already, the newly established Cambridge office will accelerate those efforts and support customer relations.
Peppermint VC realizes lucrative exit through the acquisition of next-generation chemotherapy agent CAP7.1 from German biotech CellAct by Mundipharma
CellAct Pharma GmbH together with the Mundipharma global network has announced a new deal for the development and commercialization of smart chemotherapy (CAP7.1) with a total deal value exceeding 250 million €.
What are the latest trends in biotech and digital health funding and why is Germany still using fax machines in healthcare?
a podcast by Tjasa Zajc
with Klaus Stoeckemann, Managing Partner
Emperra GmbH, a start-up company based in Potsdam, Germany, has received the Finance Monthly’s 2017 Game Changers Award. The award is honouring Emperra for its new digital business models, which – based on innovative hardware – enable business revenue to be generated from digital solutions. The 2017 Game Changers Awards honour the innovation and strategic vision of a number of globally recognised specialists across a number of different industrial sectors.
Parties intend to jointly enable AAV production in CEVEC’s CAP(R)GT cells in combination with PlasmidFactory’s broad AAV serotype plasmid portfolio
Collaboration will significantly increase the value of CAP(R)GT for CEVEC customers by broadening the spectrum of available adeno-associated viral (AAV) vectors for gene therapy applications